Market Pulse · Afternoon edition · Latest

The rally held into the close; we restore patience and extend it to short files

Mortgage bonds finished October twenty-ninth higher despite a hotter headline inflation print. We now lean float across every closing window, with the shortest on a firm trigger.

As of

Dated edition. Its call was made at publication and holds until the next edition unless updated. It is not current market or lender pricing.

The call at publication

Session close 2026-10-29
+40
Wolf Lock/Float Index +40 · Cautious float · close 2026-10-29 Our Lock/Float scale runs from −100 (lock) to +100 (float) · Confidence 5.0 of 5 · Market data as of Oct 29
Very strong lockStrong lockCautious lockNeutralCautious floatStrong float
≤ −70−69 to −50−49 to −25−24 to 2425 to 49≥ 50
    ▲
Close +40
 

Confidence measures fresh-source coverage and directional agreement, not forecast accuracy or a probability.

By closing timeline
Bars grow left toward lock and right toward float. Review current lender pricing for your closing date.
Within 15 days +30 · Cautious float
 
 
  
16–30 days +40 · Cautious float
 
 
  
31–45 days +50 · Strong float
 
 
  
Over 45 days +55 · Strong float
 
 
  
← Lock Float →

How the day finished

This morning we said the question was whether the mortgage-bond rally would survive the afternoon. It did, mostly. The mortgage-bond fund we follow (MBB) closed its October twenty-ninth session at 91.64, up 0.25% on the day, which we read as roughly 4.6 bp lower in yield-equivalent terms. Fund prices move opposite to yields, so that is the helpful direction.

We do not have a verified intraday reading to compare against, but the fund finished above its Fed-day close, so the morning gain held rather than faded. That matters: a rally that holds through the session on the same day a firmer headline inflation number lands is the market telling us it weighed the steadier core figures more heavily. The September readings were PCE y/y: 3.6% (prior 3.4%) and PCE core y/y: 3.1% (prior 3%).

Mortgage News Daily reported that its daily index eased again and that both the 10-year and mortgage rates ended at their lowest levels in more than a month [c3]. Its morning note credited a sharp drop in tech stocks with helping bonds [c4], which is worth remembering: some of this support came from a flight to safety, and that kind can reverse.

Our own published 10-year figure is dated October twenty-eighth at 5.05%, up 6 bp that session, so it captures the Fed-day reaction but not today's recovery. A fund proxy is not a lender rate sheet; your pricing depends on your lender and your file.

The bigger picture and the survey that finally moved

The trend keeps pointing the same way. Over the past week the fund is about 5.2 bp lower in yield-equivalent terms, a price gain of 0.28%, and over the past month about 48.6 bp lower, a gain of 2.67%. The published 10-year is down 8 bp on its week and 19 bp on its month. Blended, our bond signals are about 6.6 bp better on the week and 21 bp better on the month.

The piece we were waiting for arrived too. Our scoring snapshot still carries the October twenty-second survey at 7.32%, but Freddie Mac's weekly survey published October twenty-ninth showed the thirty-year average easing again from that level [c1][c2]. That is a second straight weekly decline, and it suggests borrower averages are beginning to follow bonds.

Our scoring has not yet absorbed that newer survey, so it still treats the 29 bp monthly rise in the older reading as restrictive. We think that drag will fade as the data catches up, which is part of why our calls sit a little warmer than the raw index.

Our Wolf Lock/Float Index reads +40, lean float, for a typical sixteen-to-thirty-day closing, with an evidence-quality rating of 5 out of 5. Today's session scores 46 and is aligned with the supportive week and month. That rating describes the freshness and consistency of our inputs, not the odds of any outcome.

Our calls by closing window

Closing within fifteen days: cautious float, up a notch from neutral. The index reads 30, lean float, and the baseline agrees. This morning we said we would look to upgrade if the gain held into the close and the survey eased; both happened, so we follow through. Keep a firm trigger with your loan professional, and if pricing you are comfortable with is on the table, taking it remains a sound choice.

Closing in sixteen to thirty days: cautious float, unchanged, with the index at 40. Bonds have recovered the Fed-day setback and day and trend agree, but the time-to-close penalty is real. Float with a plan, not open-ended.

Closing in thirty-one to forty-five days: strong float, restored from cautious float, with the index at 50. We trimmed this window after the hawkish Fed hold; the fund has since more than recovered that loss and the survey is easing, so the extra caution no longer earns its keep in our view.

Beyond forty-five days: strong float, with the index at 55. These runways have the most time for borrower averages to keep catching up and the most room to absorb a setback. We believe rates have more room to ease from here, and patience is our genuine view.

What comes next

No releases or scheduled events are on our calendar for the next session, which means bonds will trade on follow-through, Fed commentary and risk appetite. We want to see whether the fund holds most of this week's gain without the help of another stock selloff.

Second, whether lenders keep passing the improvement through. Daily indexes have started to move, but sheets can lag. Third, our scoring will pick up the newer weekly survey, and we expect that to soften the restrictive monthly signal.

How our recent calls held up

This morning we held neutral for the shortest closings, cautious float from sixteen to forty-five days and strong float beyond, and named the afternoon close and the weekly survey as the tests for an upgrade. Both tests came out favorably, so we follow through with the upgrades.

The fund closed the Fed-day session at 91.39 and is up 0.25 since; against the October twenty-eighth morning reading of 91.49 it is up 0.15. Patience has been rewarded across recent editions. In hindsight, our trim of the thirty-one to forty-five day window after the Fed was too careful, and our neutral stance on the shortest closings cost a little. Neither was a factual error, and we see nothing in recent editions that needs correcting.

Outlook

Base case: Our base case is that bonds hold most of this week's gains, the market keeps treating steady core inflation as the more important signal, and the weekly survey continues easing with a lag. That favors borrowers with a month or more of runway, and gives shorter files modest room to wait with a trigger.

Competing case: The serious case for locking: CNBC described a Fed that hiked last month and held this week with members leaning toward another move [c5], the published 10-year sits at 5.05%, and part of today's support came from a tech-stock slide that can reverse quickly. Headline inflation is firming. Borrowers with tight dates or thin payment cushions have a sound reason to lock rather than float.

What would change our call: We would pull the shortest window back to neutral or cautious lock, and trim thirty-one to forty-five days to cautious float, if the fund gives back today's gain and more or the next weekly survey stalls. We would consider stronger float calls for sixteen to thirty days if bonds extend the rally and lender pricing follows.

For professionals

Clients will hear that rates are at their lowest in over a month, which is fair, but remind them the move is partly a flight to safety. Short-fuse files can float with an explicit trigger; sixteen-to-thirty-day files float with a plan; thirty-one days and beyond have the strongest case for patience. Watch for lender sheets lagging the bond move.

For buyers

If you close within about two weeks, the trend now favors a little patience, but agree on a firm trigger with your loan professional and treat pricing you are comfortable with as a perfectly reasonable place to lock. Closing in three to six weeks, the aligned bond trend supports floating with a plan. Well over a month away, our read clearly favors patience.

For homeowners & sellers

For refinancing homeowners, bonds are better on the day, week and month, and the weekly survey has eased two weeks running. If a refinance only works with a meaningfully bigger improvement, keep watching with your loan professional; the trend is moving your way, and borrower averages are starting to follow.

Closing summary

The bond rally survived a hotter headline inflation print and held into the close, and the weekly survey eased again. We lean float across every closing window, with short files on a firm trigger and the strongest patience for closings beyond a month.

Continuity

This morning's edition said we would look to upgrade if the gain held into the close and the weekly survey eased. The fund closed higher and the survey eased, so we made both moves. Sixteen to thirty days and beyond forty-five days are unchanged.

Sources

[c1] Freddie Mac — Mortgage Rates - Primary Mortgage Market Survey
2026-10-29

[c2] FRED, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis — 30-Year Fixed Rate Mortgage Average in the United States (MORTGAGE30US)
2026-10-29

[c3] Mortgage News Daily — Today's Mortgage Rates : Daily Index
2026-10-29

[c4] Mortgage News Daily — No Whammies From PCE Data. Tech Plunge Helping
2026-10-29

[c5] CNBC — Fed rate decision October 2026
2026-10-28

Rates and market signals

Rates and market signals
Change is in rate terms: ▲ up is worse for borrowers, ▼ down is better. None of these is a lender rate sheet or quote.
Market signals Reading Change
Mortgage-bond fund (MBB)
change is the session of Oct 29 · week −5 bps through Oct 29 · month −49 bps through Oct 29 · dividend-adjusted, rate terms estimated from price · Mortgage-bond fund price (MBB); change is an estimated bond-yield equivalent, not borrower rates · as of Oct 29
91.64 ▼ 4.6 bps
10-year Treasury
change is the session of Oct 28 · week −8 bps through Oct 28 · month −19 bps through Oct 28 · U.S. Treasury, via FRED · as of Oct 28
5.05% ▲ 6 bps
Weekly mortgage-rate index
change is week over week · month +29 bps through Oct 22 · Freddie Mac weekly survey, via FRED · as of Oct 22
7.32% ▼ 8 bps
Daily rate-lock indexes · day over day Reading Change
30-year conforming
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 28
7.22% ▲ 0.2 bps
30-year FHA
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 28
7.07% ▲ 2.9 bps
30-year VA
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 28
6.90% ▼ 1.5 bps
30-year jumbo
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 28
7.36% ▲ 11.3 bps