Market Pulse · Afternoon edition

Bonds hold the week's gains; we stay patient, but respect a crowded Fed week

The mortgage-bond fund added to its weekly rally in the October twenty-sixth session. We lean float for most closings and hold neutral for the shortest ahead of the Fed and BEA data.

As of

Dated edition. Its call was made at publication and holds until the next edition unless updated. It is not current market or lender pricing.

The call at publication

Session close 2026-10-26
+49
Wolf Lock/Float Index +49 · Cautious float · close 2026-10-26 Our Lock/Float scale runs from −100 (lock) to +100 (float) · Confidence 3.5 of 5 · Market data as of Oct 26
Very strong lockStrong lockCautious lockNeutralCautious floatStrong float
≤ −70−69 to −50−49 to −25−24 to 2425 to 49≥ 50
    ▲
Close +49
 

Confidence measures fresh-source coverage and directional agreement, not forecast accuracy or a probability.

By closing timeline
Bars grow left toward lock and right toward float. Review current lender pricing for your closing date.
Within 15 days index +39 · our call Neutral
 
 
  
16–30 days +49 · Cautious float
 
 
  
31–45 days +59 · Strong float
 
 
  
Over 45 days +64 · Strong float
 
 
  
← Lock Float →

How the session finished

Last week's relief did not evaporate over the weekend. The mortgage-bond fund we follow (MBB) finished its October twenty-sixth session at 91.51, up 0.24%, roughly 4.4 bp lower in yield-equivalent terms. Fund prices move opposite to yields, so this is the helpful kind of gain for anyone who has not locked.

It is a modest move, not a fireworks session. Our snapshot is dated to that close, and our reprice-risk readings are marked unknown, so we describe the dated close and nothing beyond it. A fund proxy is not a lender rate sheet; your actual pricing depends on your lender and your file.

CNBC reported that Treasury yields were little changed on Monday as investors looked ahead to the Federal Reserve's rate decision on Wednesday [c6]. That reads to us like a market catching its breath after a strong week, not one losing its nerve.

The week, the month and our index

Step back and the picture is better than it has been in a while. Over the past week the fund is up 1.43%, about 26 bp lower in yield terms. Over the past month it is up 1.71%, an improvement of about 31 bp in yield-equivalent terms. Our combined monthly bond pressure reads 11 bp supportive.

Borrower-facing averages are the laggard. Freddie Mac's weekly survey put the thirty-year average at 7.32%, down 8 bp on the week [c1], but FRED's history shows it still 29 bp higher than a month earlier [c2]. Bloomberg reported in early October that the survey had risen for a seventh straight week to its highest in nearly three years [c5]. The bond rally is real; the survey has only started to follow.

Our Wolf Lock/Float Index reads +49, lean float, for a typical sixteen-to-thirty-day closing, up from 35 in our Friday edition, with an evidence-quality rating of 3.5 out of 5. That rating describes the freshness and consistency of our inputs, not the odds of any outcome. The weekly and monthly fund gains do the heavy lifting; the survey's monthly climb and a shorter runway pull the other way.

Our calls, window by window

Closing within fifteen days: neutral, one notch more careful than the index, which reads 39 and labels it lean float. This window has to pass through a Fed decision and two BEA releases within days. A file this close cannot wait out a bad reaction to either, so we would rather you pick a firm trigger with your loan professional than drift.

Closing in sixteen to thirty days: cautious float, in line with the index at 49. The session, the week and the month now point the same way, and we think the survey has more catching up to do. There is enough runway to let that lag work, provided you know the point at which you would act.

Closing in thirty-one to forty-five days: strong float, up a notch from Friday, with the index at 59 and labeled float bias. Beyond forty-five days: strong float, reading 64. Longer runways have time for the bond improvement to reach borrower pricing and time to absorb a rough session or two. Patience here is our genuine view, not a hedge.

What comes next

The Fed decision Wednesday is the first test. CNBC reported that traders broadly expect a hold, and that some analysts expect a hawkish message leaning toward further tightening over time [c6]. A firm tone could push yields back up even without a rate change.

BEA's Gross Domestic Product and Personal Income and Outlays releases are scheduled for October twenty-ninth; the latter includes PCE inflation and consumer spending. No results exist yet, so we will not guess at them. Mortgage News Daily described Treasuries as caught between safe-haven demand tied to credit stress in tech names and the upward pull of oil, geopolitics and inflation risk [c7]. That tug of war is why we keep the shortest window on a short leash.

How our recent calls held up

In Friday's edition we stayed neutral for closings within fifteen days, leaned cautiously toward floating for sixteen to forty-five days and leaned strongly toward floating beyond that. Since that edition's dated close, the fund has gained 0.22, from 91.29 to 91.51. That is one modest session, so it supports the float leans without proving them; we keep that structure and upgrade only the thirty-one-to-forty-five-day window.

Our October twenty-second afternoon edition leaned cautious lock for the shortest closings to protect a sharp rally. The fund has since gained 0.13, from 91.38 to 91.51, so that protective lean gave up a little improvement in hindsight. We judged then, and still judge, that the shortest files should not gamble; the cost of that caution has so far been small.

Outlook

Base case: Our base case is that the bond rally mostly holds through the Fed and BEA events, with choppy sessions along the way, and that the weekly survey keeps drifting lower with a lag. That rewards borrowers with a few weeks or more of runway.

Competing case: The serious opposing case is that the month tells the truer story: the survey is still 29 bp higher than a month ago, the week's rally partly reversed a long climb, and a hawkish Fed message or firm PCE inflation could send yields back up quickly. In that world, short closings have no time to recover and even patient borrowers could give back the week's relief.

What would change our call: We would move the shortest window to cautious lock and pull the sixteen-to-forty-five-day windows back a notch if the fund gives back most of its weekly gain after the Fed or BEA data, or if the next weekly survey stalls. We would extend a float lean to the shortest window if the fund holds its gains through both events and the survey's monthly signal stops scoring restrictive.

For professionals

Clients will hear that rates eased last week, and that is fair, but the survey still carries a monthly rise our scoring treats as restrictive. Short-fuse files deserve an explicit trigger before Wednesday; sixteen-to-thirty-day files can float with a plan; thirty-one days and beyond have the strongest case for patience. Flag the Fed decision and the BEA releases on October twenty-ninth.

For buyers

If you close within about two weeks, the evidence is encouraging but your window runs straight through the Fed decision and the BEA releases; agree on a firm trigger now rather than waiting to see. If you close in three to six weeks, the bond trend gives you reasonable room to be patient with a plan. If closing is well over a month away, our read favors patience.

For homeowners & sellers

For refinancing homeowners, bonds have now improved on the session, the week and the month, and the weekly survey has started to ease. Borrower averages are still elevated, so if a refinance only works with a much bigger improvement, keep watching with your loan professional rather than forcing a decision before the Fed meets.

Closing summary

The fund extended its weekly gains, and our index rose to +49. We hold neutral for closings within fifteen days given the Fed and BEA tests, lean cautiously float for sixteen to thirty days and lean strongly float beyond thirty days.

Continuity

Follows our Friday edition, which held neutral for the shortest closings, cautious float for sixteen to forty-five days and strong float beyond. The fund has gained since, so we keep that structure and upgrade thirty-one to forty-five days to strong float, while holding the shortest window neutral through the Fed decision and BEA releases. No prior statements required correction.

Sources

[c1] Freddie Mac — Mortgage Rates - Freddie Mac (PMMS, as of 10/22/2026)
2026-10-22

[c2] FRED, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis — 30-Year Fixed Rate Mortgage Average in the United States (MORTGAGE30US)
2026-10-22

[c5] Bloomberg — US Mortgage Rates Rise for Seventh Straight Week, Climbing to 7.4%
2026-10-08

[c6] CNBC — U.S. Treasury yields are little changed as investors look ahead to the Fed's rate decision
2026-10-26

[c7] Mortgage News Daily — Equity, Reverse, Non-Agency, UAD 3.6 Products; What's Ahead in Capital Markets?
2026-10-26

Rates and market signals

Rates and market signals
Change is in rate terms: ▲ up is worse for borrowers, ▼ down is better. None of these is a lender rate sheet or quote.
Market signals Reading Change
Mortgage-bond fund (MBB)
change is the session of Oct 26 · week −26 bps through Oct 26 · month −31 bps through Oct 26 · dividend-adjusted, rate terms estimated from price · Mortgage-bond fund price (MBB); change is an estimated bond-yield equivalent, not borrower rates · as of Oct 26
91.51 ▼ 4.4 bps
10-year Treasury
change is the session of Oct 22 · week −14 bps through Oct 22 · month 0 bps through Oct 22 · U.S. Treasury, via FRED · as of Oct 22 · stale, context only
4.96% ▼ 17 bps
Weekly mortgage-rate index
change is week over week · month +29 bps through Oct 22 · Freddie Mac weekly survey, via FRED · as of Oct 22
7.32% ▼ 8 bps
Daily rate-lock indexes · day over day Reading Change
30-year conforming
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 23
7.23% ▼ 2.2 bps
30-year FHA
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 23
7.08% ▲ 6.2 bps
30-year VA
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 23
6.90% ▼ 1.9 bps
30-year jumbo
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 23
7.48% ▼ 2.2 bps