Market Pulse · Morning edition

A small morning dip, a strong week behind it: we stay patient into the Fed

The mortgage-bond fund slipped slightly this morning after a strong week. We keep float leans for most closings and hold neutral for the shortest ahead of the Fed and BEA data.

As of

Dated edition. Its call was made at publication and holds until the next edition unless updated. It is not current market or lender pricing.

The call at publication

Market read at publication
+61
Wolf Lock/Float Index +61 · Our call: Cautious float Our Lock/Float scale runs from −100 (lock) to +100 (float) · Confidence 3.5 of 5 · Market data as of Oct 27, 6:45 AM PT
Very strong lockStrong lockCautious lockNeutralCautious floatStrong float
≤ −70−69 to −50−49 to −25−24 to 2425 to 49≥ 50
     ▲
Published +61

Confidence measures fresh-source coverage and directional agreement, not forecast accuracy or a probability.

By closing timeline
Bars grow left toward lock and right toward float. Review current lender pricing for your closing date.
Within 15 days +51 · Strong float
 
 
  
16–30 days index +61 · our call Cautious float
 
 
  
31–45 days +71 · Strong float
 
 
  
Over 45 days +76 · Strong float
 
 
  
← Lock Float →

What moved this morning

The relief rally took a small breather this morning. As of its mid-morning reading on October twenty-seventh, the mortgage-bond fund we follow (MBB) stood at 91.43, down 0.1% on the day, roughly 1.8 bp higher in yield-equivalent terms. Fund prices move opposite to yields, so this is the unhelpful direction, but it is a small step, the kind of wobble that shows up on ordinary days.

Monday itself was quiet. Mortgage News Daily called the session exceptionally uneventful, with bonds holding their ground [c4], and CNBC reported Treasury yields little changed as investors looked ahead to the Fed's rate decision and a busy week of data [c3]. Our own published 10-year figure is stale, dated to the October twenty-third session at 5%, up 4 bp that day but down 9 bp on its week and 11 bp on its month, so we lean on the bond fund for the fresher read.

A fund proxy is not a lender rate sheet. Lenders reprice on their own schedules, and our reprice-pressure measure puts the risk of a worse reprice at 59 against a 41 reading for improvement, both moderate. That is a mild tilt toward caution for the day, not an alarm.

The trend underneath

Step back and the picture still looks good. Over the past week the yield-equivalent is about 18.9 bp lower, with the fund price 1.04% higher, and over the past month it is about 43.5 bp lower, with the price 2.39% higher. That is the backbone of our float view, and one soft morning does not undo it.

Borrower-facing averages are still catching up. Freddie Mac's weekly survey put the thirty-year average at 7.32%, down 8 bp on the week [c2], but it remains 29 bp higher than a month earlier, and Mortgage News Daily's daily index has been roughly flat since its drop on October twenty-second [c1]. We read that as lag, not resistance: bonds moved first, and borrower pricing tends to follow if bonds hold their ground.

Our Wolf Lock/Float Index reads +61, float bias, for a typical sixteen-to-thirty-day closing, with an evidence-quality rating of 3.5 out of 5. That rating describes the freshness and consistency of our inputs, not the odds of any outcome. This morning's restrictive tick and the supportive weekly and monthly trend are diverging, which is exactly why we stay more careful than the index at the short end.

Our calls by closing window

Closing within fifteen days: neutral, a notch more careful than the index, which reads 51 and labels it float bias. This window has to pass the Fed decision and Thursday's BEA releases in quick succession, and a file this close cannot wait out a bad reaction to either. We would rather you set a firm trigger with your loan professional than drift, and if you already have terms you are comfortable with, taking them is a perfectly sound choice.

Closing in sixteen to thirty days: cautious float, one notch more careful than the index at 61. The week and the month do the heavy lifting, and there is enough runway to absorb a rough session around the Fed. Know the point at which you would act before the decision lands, and hold to it.

Closing in thirty-one to forty-five days: strong float, with the index at 71. Beyond forty-five days: strong float, reading 76. Longer runways have time for the bond improvement to reach borrower pricing and time to recover from a setback or two. Patience here is our genuine view, not a hedge.

What we are watching

The Fed decision CNBC flagged as upcoming is the first test on our list [c3]. A firm tone could push yields back up even without a rate change; a calm one would let the rally keep breathing and, in our view, give the weekly survey room to keep drifting lower.

BEA's Gross Domestic Product and Personal Income and Outlays releases are scheduled for Thursday, October twenty-ninth; the latter includes PCE inflation and consumer spending. No results exist yet, so we will not guess at them.

Through the rest of today's session, we will watch whether this morning's small dip deepens into a real giveback of the week's gain or fades by the close. A dip that stays this size changes nothing for us; a slide that erases much of the week would.

How our recent calls held up

In yesterday afternoon's edition we held neutral for closings within fifteen days, leaned cautious float for sixteen to thirty days and strong float beyond thirty days. Since that edition's dated close of 91.51, the fund is down 0.08 to its mid-morning reading of 91.43. That is a small giveback, too small to grade the call either way, so we keep the same structure.

Friday's edition kept neutral at the short end and leaned cautious float through forty-five days; the fund is up 0.14 since that close of 91.29, which supports the float leans. Our October twenty-second afternoon edition leaned cautious lock for the shortest closings; the fund is up 0.05 from that close of 91.38, so the hindsight cost of that caution has shrunk to very little. We see nothing in our recent statements that needs correcting.

Our structured baseline calls every window strong float, and the index sits a little under its baseline score of 65. We stay more careful than that baseline at the short and middle windows because of the event calendar, not because the evidence has turned.

Outlook

Base case: Our base case is that the bond rally mostly holds through the Fed decision and the BEA releases, with choppy sessions like this morning's along the way, and that the weekly survey keeps easing with a lag. That rewards borrowers with a few weeks or more of runway.

Competing case: The serious opposing case is that the month tells the truer story for borrowers: the survey is still 29 bp higher than a month ago, the week's bond rally partly reversed a long climb, and a hawkish Fed message or firm PCE inflation could send yields back up quickly. In that world, short closings have no time to recover and even patient borrowers could give back the week's relief.

What would change our call: We would move the shortest window to cautious lock and pull the sixteen-to-forty-five-day windows back a notch if the fund gives back most of its weekly gain after the Fed or BEA data, or if the next weekly survey stalls. We would extend a float lean to the shortest window if the fund holds its gains through both events and the survey's monthly signal stops scoring restrictive.

For professionals

0-15 days: Strong float. 16-30 days: Cautious float. 31-45 days: Strong float. 45+ days: Strong float. Review current lender pricing and your closing timeline with us.

For buyers

0-15 days: Strong float. 16-30 days: Cautious float. 31-45 days: Strong float. 45+ days: Strong float. Review current lender pricing and your closing timeline with us.

For homeowners & sellers

0-15 days: Strong float. 16-30 days: Cautious float. 31-45 days: Strong float. 45+ days: Strong float. Review current lender pricing and your closing timeline with us.

Closing summary

0-15 days: Strong float. 16-30 days: Cautious float. 31-45 days: Strong float. 45+ days: Strong float. Review current lender pricing and your closing timeline with us.

Continuity

We keep yesterday afternoon's calls unchanged: neutral within fifteen days, cautious float for sixteen to thirty days, strong float beyond thirty days. The fund is down 0.08 since that close, a small giveback that does not grade the call; the week and month still support patience, while the Fed and BEA events keep the shortest window careful.

Sources

[c1] Mortgage News Daily — 30 Year Fixed Mortgage Rates - Mortgage News Daily
2026-10-26

[c2] Freddie Mac — Mortgage Rates - Primary Mortgage Market Survey
2026-10-22

[c3] CNBC — U.S. Treasury yields are little changed as investors look ahead to the Fed's rate decision
2026-10-26

[c4] Mortgage News Daily — Bonds Hold Ground Despite Some Healing in Tech
2026-10-26

Rates and market signals

Rates and market signals
Change is in rate terms: ▲ up is worse for borrowers, ▼ down is better. None of these is a lender rate sheet or quote.
Market signals Reading Change
Mortgage-bond fund (MBB)
change is the edition day · week −19 bps through Oct 27 · month −43 bps through Oct 27 · dividend-adjusted, rate terms estimated from price · Mortgage-bond fund price (MBB); change is an estimated bond-yield equivalent, not borrower rates · as of Oct 27, 6:45 AM PT
91.43 ▲ 1.8 bps
10-year Treasury
change is the session of Oct 23 · week −9 bps through Oct 23 · month −11 bps through Oct 23 · U.S. Treasury, via FRED · as of Oct 23 · stale, context only
5.00% ▲ 4 bps
Weekly mortgage-rate index
change is week over week · month +29 bps through Oct 22 · Freddie Mac weekly survey, via FRED · as of Oct 22
7.32% ▼ 8 bps
Daily rate-lock indexes · day over day Reading Change
30-year conforming
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 26
7.20% ▼ 2.6 bps
30-year FHA
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 26
7.03% ▼ 5 bps
30-year VA
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 26
6.87% ▼ 2.6 bps
30-year jumbo
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 26
7.27% ▼ 20.7 bps

Correction (Oct 27, 2026):

Previously: 0-15 days: Strong float.

Our position in that edition for closings within fifteen days was neutral, as its article and dek stated, not a float lean; neutral remains our call for that window.

Correction (Oct 28, 2026):

Previously: 0-15 days: Strong float.

Our position in that edition for closings within fifteen days was neutral, as its article stated, not strong float.