Market Pulse · Afternoon edition

A hawkish hold dents bonds, but the trend survives; we trim the patience slightly

Mortgage bonds slipped on Fed day as the central bank held and two members wanted a hike. We keep the short window neutral, ease the middle a notch, and stay patient for long closings.

As of

Dated edition. Its call was made at publication and holds until the next edition unless updated. It is not current market or lender pricing.

The call at publication

Session close 2026-10-28
+54
Wolf Lock/Float Index +54 · Our call: Cautious float · close 2026-10-28 Our Lock/Float scale runs from −100 (lock) to +100 (float) · Confidence 5.0 of 5 · Market data as of Oct 28
Very strong lockStrong lockCautious lockNeutralCautious floatStrong float
≤ −70−69 to −50−49 to −25−24 to 2425 to 49≥ 50
     ▲
Close +54

Confidence measures fresh-source coverage and directional agreement, not forecast accuracy or a probability.

By closing timeline
Bars grow left toward lock and right toward float. Review current lender pricing for your closing date.
Within 15 days index +44 · our call Neutral
 
 
  
16–30 days index +54 · our call Cautious float
 
 
  
31–45 days index +64 · our call Cautious float
 
 
  
Over 45 days +69 · Strong float
 
 
  
← Lock Float →

How Fed day finished

This morning we said the small dip in mortgage bonds was the kind of wobble that shows up on ordinary days, and that the Fed decision would be the real test. The test came, and bonds took a modest hit. The mortgage-bond fund we follow (MBB) finished its October twenty-eighth session at 91.39, down 0.17% on the day, which we read as roughly 3 bp higher in yield-equivalent terms. Fund prices move opposite to yields, so that is the unhelpful direction.

CNBC reported that the Fed held its target range steady [c1], and Bloomberg reported the vote as ten to two [c3]. The detail that mattered for bonds was the dissent: CNBC said both dissenters, Cook and Hammack, wanted a quarter-point hike, and that futures pricing points to a strong chance of a hike in December [c1]. A separate CNBC report had the 10-year yield more than 3 bp higher during the session, with energy costs and inflation worries cited for elevated long yields [c2]. That is a hawkish hold, and the fund's slide reads to us like a market taking it seriously but not panicking.

Our own published 10-year figure lags a session: it is dated October twenty-seventh at 4.99%, down 1 bp that day. It does not yet reflect the Fed reaction. Our reprice-risk readings for the next session are marked unknown, so we describe the dated close and nothing beyond it. A fund proxy is not a lender rate sheet; your pricing depends on your lender and your file.

Why the trend still matters

One rough session does not erase a good run. Even after the Fed-day dip, the fund is up 0.94% over the past week, about 17.1 bp lower in yield-equivalent terms, and up 2.51% over the past month, about 45.6 bp lower. The published 10-year is down 13 bp on its week and 18 bp on its month. Blended, our bond signals are about 15 bp better on the week and 20 bp better on the month.

Borrower-facing averages remain the laggard. The weekly survey put the thirty-year average at 7.32% on October twenty-second, down 8 bp on the week but still 29 bp higher than a month earlier. CNBC cited Mortgage News Daily showing thirty-year rates above seven percent for more than a month [c2]. We still read that gap as lag, but a hawkish Fed makes it harder for borrower pricing to catch up quickly.

Our Wolf Lock/Float Index now reads +54, float bias, for a typical sixteen-to-thirty-day closing, with an evidence-quality rating of 5 out of 5. That rating describes how fresh and consistent our inputs are, not the odds of any outcome. The session scores restrictive at -32 while the week and month stay supportive, so day and trend are diverging, and the index sits well below its baseline score of 65.

Our calls by closing window

Closing within fifteen days: neutral. The index reads 44, lean float, and our structured baseline says cautious float, but we stay more careful. Tomorrow morning's BEA releases land right inside this window, and a hawkish Fed raises the stakes on any firm inflation reading. If you have terms you are comfortable with, taking them is a sound choice; if you float, do it with a firm trigger agreed with your loan professional.

Closing in sixteen to thirty days: cautious float, unchanged from this morning, with the index at 54. The week and month still carry the case, but the time-to-close penalty of 10 points is real: there is room to absorb one more rough session, not a string of them. Know your action point before the BEA data and hold to it.

Closing in thirty-one to forty-five days: cautious float, one notch down from this morning's strong float, with the index at 64. This is a judgment call on our part. Two votes for a hike and futures leaning toward December tell us the Fed is not finished, and that ceiling can cap how far the bond rally runs over the next month.

Beyond forty-five days: strong float, reading 69. These runways have time for borrower averages to follow bonds lower and time to recover from setbacks. Patience here remains our genuine view.

What comes next

Tomorrow morning BEA is scheduled to publish Gross Domestic Product and Personal Income and Outlays; the latter includes PCE inflation and consumer spending. No results exist yet, so we will not guess at them. After a Fed that leaned hawkish, a firm inflation reading would land harder than it would have a week ago, and a soft one could help bonds win back the Fed-day loss.

We will also watch the next weekly survey. If it keeps easing even after the Fed, our lag story holds; if it stalls, the monthly rise that our scoring treats as restrictive gets more weight.

How our recent calls held up

This morning we held neutral for closings within fifteen days, cautious float for sixteen to thirty, and strong float beyond thirty, and said we would regrade after the Fed and BEA data. The fund gave back some of its weekly gain, not most: the session's 0.17% decline against a 0.94% weekly gain. That is not enough to shift the short and middle windows, so we keep them, and our one change beyond thirty days reflects the Fed's hike lean rather than the price move alone.

Against yesterday afternoon's close of 91.56, the fund is down 0.17, a real giveback that cuts against the float leans without overturning them. Against yesterday morning's reading of 91.43 it is down 0.04, essentially a wash. The cautious stance we kept for the shortest closings looks sensible in hindsight; the strong float beyond thirty days has not been hurt much yet but now faces a firmer Fed. We see nothing in this morning's edition that needs correcting.

Outlook

Base case: Our base case is that the bond rally mostly holds through the BEA releases with choppy sessions, that long yields stay range-bound under a Fed leaning hawkish, and that the weekly survey keeps easing slowly. That still rewards borrowers with more than a month of runway, while shorter files gain less from waiting.

Competing case: The serious case for locking: a Fed with two votes for a hike, futures leaning toward December, and energy-driven inflation pressure could push long yields higher, and the fund already fell on the decision. The survey is still 29 bp above a month ago. A firm PCE reading could erase the week's relief quickly, and borrowers with thin payment cushions or tight dates have a sound reason to lock rather than float.

What would change our call: We would move the shortest window to cautious lock and pull sixteen to forty-five days back toward neutral if the fund gives back most of its weekly gain after the BEA data or the next weekly survey stalls. We would restore strong float for thirty-one to forty-five days and extend a float lean to the shortest window if the fund recovers the Fed-day loss and the survey keeps falling.

For professionals

Clients will hear the Fed held rates, and some will assume that means mortgage rates fall. Worth explaining the two hike dissents and the fund's decline on the day. Short-fuse files deserve an explicit trigger before the BEA releases; sixteen-to-forty-five-day files can float with a plan; beyond forty-five days has the strongest case for patience.

For buyers

If you close within about two weeks, tomorrow's BEA releases sit inside your window; agree on a firm trigger with your loan professional, and taking terms you are comfortable with is perfectly reasonable. Closing in three to six weeks, the bond trend still gives room for patience with a plan. If closing is well over a month away, our read favors waiting.

For homeowners & sellers

For refinancing homeowners, bonds remain better on the week and month even after the Fed-day dip, but the Fed's hike lean may slow how fast borrower averages improve. If a refinance only works with a much bigger improvement, keep watching with your loan professional rather than forcing a decision around tomorrow's data.

Closing summary

A hawkish Fed hold cost mortgage bonds part of their weekly gain, but the week and month still favor patience. We hold neutral for the shortest closings, cautious float from sixteen to forty-five days, and strong float beyond, with tomorrow's BEA data the next test.

Continuity

This morning we held neutral for closings within fifteen days, cautious float for sixteen to thirty, and strong float beyond thirty. After a hawkish Fed hold and a modest decline in the mortgage-bond fund, we keep the first two calls, move thirty-one to forty-five days down one notch to cautious float, and keep strong float beyond forty-five days. The fund kept most of its weekly gain, so broader caution is not warranted yet.

Sources

[c1] CNBC — Fed interest rate decision October 2026: Fed holds rates steady
2026-10-28

[c2] CNBC — 10-year Treasury yield creeps higher even as Fed keeps rates the same
2026-10-28

[c3] Bloomberg — Key Takeaways: Fed Maintains Rates, Cites Strong Growth and Ongoing Uncertainty
2026-10-28

Rates and market signals

Rates and market signals
Change is in rate terms: ▲ up is worse for borrowers, ▼ down is better. None of these is a lender rate sheet or quote.
Market signals Reading Change
Mortgage-bond fund (MBB)
change is the session of Oct 28 · week −17 bps through Oct 28 · month −46 bps through Oct 28 · dividend-adjusted, rate terms estimated from price · Mortgage-bond fund price (MBB); change is an estimated bond-yield equivalent, not borrower rates · as of Oct 28
91.39 ▲ 3.2 bps
10-year Treasury
change is the session of Oct 27 · week −13 bps through Oct 27 · month −18 bps through Oct 27 · U.S. Treasury, via FRED · as of Oct 27
4.99% ▼ 1 bps
Weekly mortgage-rate index
change is week over week · month +29 bps through Oct 22 · Freddie Mac weekly survey, via FRED · as of Oct 22
7.32% ▼ 8 bps
Daily rate-lock indexes · day over day Reading Change
30-year conforming
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 27
7.22% ▲ 1.5 bps
30-year FHA
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 27
7.04% ▲ 1 bps
30-year VA
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 27
6.92% ▲ 4.9 bps
30-year jumbo
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 27
7.25% ▼ 2.4 bps