Market Pulse · Morning edition

A soft morning before the Fed; the trend still argues for patience

Mortgage bonds slipped slightly this morning as Fed day began. We lean float for most closings and hold neutral for the shortest, with the Fed and BEA data back to back.

As of

Dated edition. Its call was made at publication and holds until the next edition unless updated. It is not current market or lender pricing.

The call at publication

Market read at publication
+59
Wolf Lock/Float Index +59 · Our call: Cautious float Our Lock/Float scale runs from −100 (lock) to +100 (float) · Confidence 5.0 of 5 · Market data as of Oct 28, 6:45 AM PT
Very strong lockStrong lockCautious lockNeutralCautious floatStrong float
≤ −70−69 to −50−49 to −25−24 to 2425 to 49≥ 50
     ▲
Published +59

Confidence measures fresh-source coverage and directional agreement, not forecast accuracy or a probability.

By closing timeline
Bars grow left toward lock and right toward float. Review current lender pricing for your closing date.
Within 15 days index +49 · our call Neutral
 
 
  
16–30 days index +59 · our call Cautious float
 
 
  
31–45 days +69 · Strong float
 
 
  
Over 45 days +74 · Strong float
 
 
  
← Lock Float →

What moved this morning

Fed day opened with mortgage bonds a touch softer. As of its mid-morning reading on October twenty-eighth, the mortgage-bond fund we follow (MBB) stood at 91.49, down 0.07% on the day, roughly 1.2 bp higher in yield-equivalent terms. Fund prices move opposite to yields, so this is the unhelpful direction, but it is a small step, well within the range of an ordinary session.

CNBC reported Treasury yields ticking higher early this morning as traders waited for the Fed's rate decision [c1]. Our own published 10-year figure is dated to the October twenty-sixth session at 5%, unchanged that day, so we lean on the bond fund for the fresher read. Our reprice-pressure measure puts the risk of a worse lender reprice at 56 against 44 for an improvement, both moderate: a mild tilt toward caution for the day, not an alarm. A fund proxy is not a lender rate sheet; your pricing depends on your lender and your file.

The trend underneath

Step back and this morning looks like what it is: a pause in a good run. In yield-equivalent terms the fund is about 19.1 bp lower over the past week and about 47.6 bp lower over the past month; in price terms that is a gain of 1.05% on the week and 2.62% on the month. The published 10-year is down 15 bp on its week and 18 bp on its month. CNBC tied last week's slide in yields to investors seeking cover from AI-spending worries and higher oil prices weighing on stocks [c3].

Borrower-facing averages are still catching up. The weekly survey put the thirty-year average at 7.32% on October twenty-second, down 8 bp on the week but 29 bp higher than a month earlier. CNBC reported the MBA's contract rate fell for a second straight week [c2], and Mortgage News Daily's daily index was essentially unchanged on October twenty-seventh [c5]. We read that as lag, not resistance: bonds moved first, and borrower pricing tends to follow if bonds hold their ground.

Our Wolf Lock/Float Index reads +59, float bias, for a typical sixteen-to-thirty-day closing, with an evidence-quality rating of 5 out of 5. That rating describes how fresh and consistent our inputs are, not the odds of any outcome. This morning's restrictive tick and the supportive weekly and monthly trend are diverging, and the index sits below its baseline score of 65.

Our calls by closing window

Closing within fifteen days: neutral. The index reads 49 and calls it lean float, and our structured baseline says cautious float, but we stay a notch more careful. This window runs through the Fed decision later today and the BEA releases tomorrow morning, and a file this close cannot wait out a bad reaction to either. Set a firm trigger with your loan professional; if you already have terms you are comfortable with, taking them is a perfectly sound choice.

Closing in sixteen to thirty days: cautious float, one notch more careful than the baseline, with the index at 59. The week and the month carry the case, and there is runway to absorb one rough session. Know the point at which you would act before the Fed speaks, and hold to it.

Closing in thirty-one to forty-five days: strong float, with the index at 69. Beyond forty-five days: strong float, reading 74. These runways have time for the bond improvement to reach borrower pricing and time to recover from a setback. We believe the weekly survey has more catching up to do, and patience here is our genuine view, not a hedge.

What we are watching

The Fed decision is the main event. CNBC reported markets broadly expect a hold, with attention on whether officials keep the door open to a hike later this year [c1][c4]. A firm tone could push yields up even without a rate change; a calmer message would, in our view, let the rally keep breathing.

Tomorrow morning BEA is scheduled to publish Gross Domestic Product and Personal Income and Outlays; the latter includes PCE inflation and consumer spending. No results exist yet, so we will not guess at them. Through the rest of the session we will watch whether the fund's small dip deepens ahead of the Fed or holds near this morning's level.

How our recent calls held up

Yesterday afternoon we held neutral for the shortest closings, cautious float for sixteen to thirty days and strong float beyond thirty days. The fund closed that session at 91.56; this morning's 91.49 is 0.07 lower, a small giveback that cuts against the float leans without overturning them. Against yesterday morning's reading of 91.43 the fund is up 0.06, and against the October twenty-sixth close of 91.51 it is down 0.02. Net, a wash: the events that will truly grade these calls arrive later today and tomorrow.

One mistake we need to own: in both of yesterday's editions, the quick-reference lines labeled the shortest window strong float while the articles held neutral. We correct both below; neutral was and remains our view for closings within fifteen days.

Outlook

Base case: Our base case is that the bond rally mostly holds through the Fed decision and the BEA releases, with choppy sessions like this morning's along the way, and that the weekly survey keeps easing with a lag. That rewards borrowers with a few weeks or more of runway.

Competing case: The serious opposing case: the 10-year sits right around 5%, reporting points to a Fed still leaning toward a hike, and much of the recent rally came from a flight to safety that can reverse fast [c1][c3]. A hawkish press conference, firm PCE inflation or strong GDP could erase the week's relief, and the survey is still 29 bp higher than a month ago. Anyone with a tight closing date has a sound argument to lock before the Fed speaks.

What would change our call: We would move the shortest window to cautious lock and pull the sixteen-to-forty-five-day windows back a notch if the fund gives back most of its weekly gain after the Fed or BEA data, or if the next weekly survey stalls. We would extend a float lean to the shortest window if the fund holds its gains through both events and the survey's monthly signal stops scoring restrictive.

For professionals

Clients will hear that rates eased last week, which is fair, but the survey still carries a monthly rise our scoring treats as restrictive. Short-fuse files deserve an explicit trigger before the Fed speaks; sixteen-to-thirty-day files can float with a plan; thirty-one days and beyond have the strongest case for patience. Flag tomorrow's BEA releases as the second test.

For buyers

If you close within about two weeks, your window runs straight through the Fed decision and tomorrow's BEA releases; agree on a firm trigger with your loan professional now rather than waiting to see. If you close in three to six weeks, the bond trend gives you reasonable room to be patient with a plan. If closing is well over a month away, our read favors patience.

For homeowners & sellers

For refinancing homeowners, bonds are better on the week and the month even after this morning's small dip, and the weekly survey has started to ease. Borrower averages are still elevated, so if a refinance only works with a much bigger improvement, keep watching with your loan professional rather than forcing a decision on Fed day.

Closing summary

A small morning dip on Fed day does not undo a strong week and month for mortgage bonds. We hold neutral for closings within fifteen days, cautious float for sixteen to thirty, and strong float beyond thirty, and we will regrade after the Fed and BEA data.

Correction

Previously: 0-15 days: Strong float.

Our position in that edition for closings within fifteen days was neutral, as its article stated, not strong float.

Read the prior edition

Correction

Previously: 0-15 days: Strong float.

Our position in that edition for closings within fifteen days was neutral, as its article stated, not strong float.

Read the prior edition

Continuity

We keep the structure of our last three editions: neutral for the shortest closings, cautious float for sixteen to thirty days and strong float beyond thirty days. Since yesterday's close the fund is slightly lower, too small to grade the calls; the Fed decision and tomorrow's BEA releases will. We also correct the quick-reference mislabel that appeared in both of yesterday's editions.

Sources

[c1] CNBC — Treasury yields tick higher ahead of Fed interest rate decision
2026-10-28

[c2] CNBC — Mortgage rates fell for the second straight week, but more borrowers still sought savings in riskier loans
2026-10-28

[c3] CNBC — 10-year Treasury yield drops back to 5% this week as investors seek cover from AI worries
2026-10-23

[c4] CNBC — Fed decision: What to expect from October rate-setting meeting
2026-10-26

[c5] Mortgage News Daily — Today's Mortgage Rates : Daily Index
2026-10-27

Rates and market signals

Rates and market signals
Change is in rate terms: ▲ up is worse for borrowers, ▼ down is better. None of these is a lender rate sheet or quote.
Market signals Reading Change
Mortgage-bond fund (MBB)
change is the edition day · week −19 bps through Oct 28 · month −48 bps through Oct 28 · dividend-adjusted, rate terms estimated from price · Mortgage-bond fund price (MBB); change is an estimated bond-yield equivalent, not borrower rates · as of Oct 28, 6:45 AM PT
91.49 ▲ 1.2 bps
10-year Treasury
change is the session of Oct 26 · week −15 bps through Oct 26 · month −18 bps through Oct 26 · U.S. Treasury, via FRED · as of Oct 26
5.00% flat
Weekly mortgage-rate index
change is week over week · month +29 bps through Oct 22 · Freddie Mac weekly survey, via FRED · as of Oct 22
7.32% ▼ 8 bps
Daily rate-lock indexes · day over day Reading Change
30-year conforming
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 27
7.22% ▲ 1.5 bps
30-year FHA
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 27
7.04% ▲ 1 bps
30-year VA
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 27
6.92% ▲ 4.9 bps
30-year jumbo
Optimal Blue daily rate index · as of Oct 27
7.25% ▼ 2.4 bps